Featured Sport

TEENIS: WTA Reiterates Concern For Peng

The Women’s Tennis Association (WTA) says Peng Shuai’s latest interview about her sexual assault allegations “does not alleviate” its concerns.

Peng accused a Chinese government leader in November in a social media post but it was swiftly deleted and the player then disappeared for weeks.

But the 36-year-old said on Monday she never alleged sexual assault.

Her recent in-person interview does not alleviate any of our concerns about her initial post,” the WTA said.

The organisation’s chief executive and chairman Steve Simon added: “To reiterate our view, Peng took a bold step in publicly coming forth with the accusation that she was sexually assaulted by a senior Chinese government leader.

“As we would do with any of our players globally, we have called for a formal investigation into the allegations by the appropriate authorities and an opportunity for the WTA to meet with Peng, privately, to discuss her situation.

“We continue to hold firm on our position and our thoughts remain with Peng Shuai.”

The player has been in attendance at the Beijing Winter Olympics, and on Tuesday watched her compatriot Eileen Gu win gold in the women’s big air event.

YOU CAN ALSO READ: Winter Olympics: British Curlers Well Beaten In Broze-medal Match

The International Olympic Committee also said its president, Thomas Bach, had dinner with Peng on Saturday.

Bach had been one of the first to vouch for her safety after she disappeared in 2021 and the pair held a video call when there were concerns over her whereabouts and wellbeing

Related posts

Super Falcons Bounce Back, Beat Botswana

Debby Bubu-Eselebor

Tinubu Vows To Sustain Buhari’s Legacies

wada

NPFL: Rivers United, Plateau United Win Away; Enyimba Down Remo Stars

Debby Bubu-Eselebor

Leave a Comment